Monday, July 03, 2006

A Level MT Oral

Chinese shouldn't even BE my mother tongue! Neither my mum nor my dad writes, reads or even speaks Chinese unless the need is really there..but whatever the case, MOE doesn't really give a shit and I hve to end up taking Chinese as my 2nd Language and of course had to take my Advanced Level Oral last friday....

I was the 2nd last of my batch to go and honestly I wasn't feeling really all that nervous..maybe it's the thought that I still could go to an Auzzie Uni even if I can't get into NUS or SMU - Auzzie Citizenship does pay off sometimes - esp when you wanna clear those pesky customs in Australia or NZ hahaha...well it inevitably came to my turn....of course I could hve used my MC which I hve gotten but didn't...no use prolonging the agony..so anyways the passage was full of weird little squiggles which mean absolutely nothing and I found it my job to make this string of nonsense sound logical...yes! I only read those words I knew and those I didn't, I replaced them with something to make the passage still sound coherent even after the more difficult words have been replaced.

Next up, the convo section..no worries, I could easily converse in Chinese as long as I knew what the topic was about...first question, "Do you read chinese newspapers?" I actually wanted to answer yes to this just to see the reaction of my examiners but then restrained myself since this WERE my A Levels...haha but of course my answer was no....then they asked me why? Well, coz my family doesn't speak Chinese and we don't bother ourselves with the language, much..
..and then the third question was whether I'd bother to read a Chinese newspaper specially published for youths using very simple Chinese and with english translations at the side...well why not? Who knows? It might actually help...and so thus ends my A Level MT Oral...what a great day it was....

No comments: